Top trends in web design, audio, video, graphics design, and more – all picked by the Envato team.
To recap, we’ve put together this list – curated by the team at Envato – of our top ten trends of the year, and predictions for what will be popular in 2018. Of course, there’s a lot more that happened in 2017 than what’s in this top ten.
A few honorable mentions for trends this year:
- On WordPress and web development, we saw a focus on accessible design, simpler and more functional landing pages, an obsession with cryptocurrency, and the growth of ecommerce websites.
- In the business world, we saw the rise of more video on platforms like LinkedIn, the continued dominance of subscription services, and more remote-friendly career paths.
- In video & audio, trends included cinema-style logo reveals, Taylor Swift-inspired lyric videos, all things Cyberpunk, made-for-Youtube music, flashy Eurovision inspiration, and stock audio genres like boom-bap, tropical house, and electro swing.
- Meanwhile, designers made custom illustrations, debated the pros and cons of Figma, designed for the growing ebook market, switched to iPads, snuck 3D renders into their 2D design work, made everything into marble, and avoided Helvetica this year.
- On the Elements Blog, we analyzed the history of video game design, asked whether or not Gutenberg would change WordPress, and developed a love/hate relationship with trendy flat lay photography. Envato staff shared their expertise on everything from SEO tips for keyword research, authentic photography, and the potential legal consequences of ‘borrowing’ content.
- We also highlighted our favorite and most creative items created by Envato’s community, including music-inspired fonts, stunning landscape photography, motion graphic collaborations, and a turtle-centric design challenge.
Top 10 Trends of 2017
#1: Geometric Shapes
#2: All Tropical Everything
#3: Fast Typography in Video
Fast Typography Templates:
Stomp – Typographic Intro by Mnemonick
Rhythmic Typography by blinque
Rhythmic Opener by levmotion
Urban Opener // Dynamic Open by makcinema
#4: Color Fonts
#5: Future Bass
Future Bass tracks:
That Future Bass by TheQLon
Future Bass by Alexiaction
The Future Bass by OddVision
What’s next in audio trends for 2018?
#6: Simplicity in Email Design
#8: 2D + 3D Design
Can you tell the difference between stock photos and 3D designs?
Check out our side-by-side comparisons: How 3D Renders Are Being Used for 2D Artwork.
#9: More Microinteractions
A microinteraction is a small moment that accomplishes a single task. We’ve seen them everywhere from social media sites to our WordPress themes on Themeforest, and it’s a design detail that will only grow in popularity.
#10: Print isn’t Dead
According to a study done by Graphic Design USA (GDUSA), 97% of graphic designers work on print design projects, compared to 36% who work on TV, film, or video projects. The top print project types include brochures, marketing materials, cards, and direct mail.
For the latest creative trends, check out: